Thursday, October 16, 2008

Maiden Voyage on the Kayak

I bought a kayak a few weeks ago and I finally got to get her out today! My Dad has owned one for a few years now so we got together and launched at Crystal Beach for a few hours of paddlin and fishin! My main focus was just to get out there and feel it out as I have never been out on a kayak before but I was definately getting in a few casts! It was a little shaky at first but I quickly got the hang of it. We headed north out of Crystal Beach and after about a mile or so we decided to stop and throw some shrimpies out. We located a deeper cut along some docks and it was loaded with fish! My Dad got things started with a small trout, his first fish on his yak and I quickly landed my first fish, a small snapper. A few minutes later, my shrimp got railed and my drag was screaming! After a several minute fight, my fish still hadn't shown itself. After initially thinking it was a red, I was convinced it was a snook as it kept going on serious runs and dragging me around in circles! I finally got a good look at it and realized it was a nice Jack! Not bad for the first day on the Kayak! All-in-all, it was a beautiful day on the water and we managed about 9 fish between us in a few hours. Looking forward to many days with pops out on the kayaks!


No comments: